P.B. Christensen wrote:
> Until I purchased
> the '7800 back in 2005, the only other radio I've owned that would produce
> ultra-low-pitch CW was the TS-870 but I never bothered trying low pitch CW
> reception until I tried it with the Icom.

The TS-930S had an infinitely variable PITCH control which went down to zero
(and maybe even beyond to negative IF since it was analog).  It
simultaneously adjusted sidetone, filter center and TX offset so you were
always zero beat if you matched the sidetone to the signal.  It was easy to
tune in a weak signal and then adjust PITCH for the optimum S/N for your
ears.  This is how I discovered my ears liked the 240-270 Hz range.  Orion
also allows setting PITCH as low as 200 Hz but I never used settings that
low based on my experience with the 930.  I still have my 930 and may have
to drag it out to see what 50 Hz sounds like, but that sounds awfully low
based on my previous experience.

I still don't understand why the K3 limits us to 300 Hz PITCH when Orion
(which has a very similar block diagram) goes to 200 Hz.  Ten-Tec changed
their original lower limit of 300 Hz to 200 Hz within a month of my request
to lower it...and they also keep their crystal filters centered instead of
shifting them at lower PITCH settings (as the K3 does), so the radios
apparently have some differences that are not obvious to me.

73,  Bill