Gary D Krause wrote:

> Why do you still have both?

A lot of reasons, not the least of which is that I built my K2. I only
assembled my K3. It isn't the same. There's a bond with a radio that you
built yourself that doesn't exist if you only bought it.

Then the K3 does modes like AM, FM and digital. Digimodes were really an
afterthought on the K2, but they are my biggest interest. The K3 was specced
to be a digital operator's dream radio and although there have been some
issues with the firmware, now corrected, I would say that it is.

I also hoped for pleasanter receive audio quality. The audio on the K2 was a
bit pinched, which is actually fine for communications purposes especually
as mine was a QRP radio, but a bit tiring on the ears at times. The K3
allows wider filters that are flatter across the top which gives better
fidelity, though it still has an indefinable "DSP" harshness that I don't
notice in analog radios like the old FT-902DM someone brought to the local
club the other night.

About the last thing I bought the K3 for was its receiver performance
numbers. My view on that is more or less "who cares?" In my situation it's
external QRN that defines what I can and can't hear. I'm sure the K2 could
hear anything the K3 can, but I've never bothered to test them side by side
to be certain of it. But the fuss some people make about IP3 and the rest
makes you wonder how anyone managed to work anything 20 years ago when
sensitivity and selectivity were the only receiver paramaters anyone
measured...

73,

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.