I don't see how you've "lost" any band or changed any band ordering in
your example.

     1. you used the BAND button to go to 60m (5.3xx MHz).

     2. you punched in 9.5 MHz.  9.5 MHz happens to be within the
boundaries of the K3's 30m band, therefore you've changed bands to 30m.

     3. at this point, pressing BAND UP goes to 20m as expected.

     4. from 20m, pressing BAND DN takes you back to your last
frequency on 30m (9.5 MHz)

     5. pressing BAND DN again, takes you to 40m.

I really don't see where any order has been messed up or anything has
been lost.  (Unless your rig is behaving differently than mine?)

I've found it helpful to know that the actual band limits are as
follows (determined experimentally);

160m  0.5 -  2.999999 MHz
  80m  3.0 -  4.799999 MHz
  60m  4.8 -  5.999999 MHz
  40m  6.0 -  8.999999 MHz
  30m  9.0 - 12.999999 MHz
  20m 13.0 - 16.999999 MHz
  17m 17.0 - 18.999999 MHz
  15m 19.0 - 22.999999 MHz
  12m 23.0 - 25.999999 MHz
  10m 26.0 - 30.000000 MHz
   6m 44.0 - 54.000000 MHz

So any time I go from, say, 5.8 MHz to 6.1 MHz, I've changed bands
from 60m to 40m, whether I've gotten there by direct frequency entry
or by spinning the VFO knob. If I then hit BAND UP, I go from 40m to
30m.  And since the K3 remembers the last frequency used on any given
band, if I then hit BAND DN, I go back to 6.1 MHz, which is the last
40m frequency I was on.

Does this help at all, or am I still missing the boat?

73
--
Joe KB8AP