Since touching the VFO knob causes the problem while touching the case does
not, I suspect your VFO encoder is not grounded to the front panel sheet
metal.

You can check with an ohmmeter if you're not adverse to removing the VFO A
knob*. Put one probe on the metal shaft of the encoder and the other on a
bare metal chassis ground point such as the knurled nut on the PHONES jack.
If it's not nearly a dead short, there's a grounding problem.

If the circuit is open, suggest you post a query to k3support at elecraft
dot com.

*The knob comes off easily. First slide the rubber "tire" off (get your
finger nails behind the edge nearest the front panel and work it off toward
you). Then you'll find set screw holes under the tire. A wrench came with
your K3 that will loosen the screws. When you put it back together, the
usual approach to getting the tension against the felt washers behind the
knob right is to stand the K3 on its back panel and set the knob onto the
encoder shaft. The weight of the knob usually produces the right amount of
friction.

Ron AC7AC