On 2/13/10 8:23 AM, KM4VX wrote:

>  The P-3 could sell for a few
> hundred dollars at profit, similar to other panadapters. Instead, we are
> talking about more than double that price. Companies recover their R&D
> investments over time, and the higher the selling price the shorter the R&D
> investment recovery period. How about a breather here? The $700 price being
> tossed around is a bit absurd in my view.

Keep in mind that the P3 is completely standalone -- you don't need to
add a computer or a display as you do with the other options. You may or
may not think that's a good thing, but it accounts for the price difference.

I've talked to the Elecraft people about pricing on occasion and they
very definitely do NOT charge what the market will bear, but rather base
their prices on a reasonable markup over the cost.
--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA