Yes, I noticed this on my bug also. This happens almost entirely on
characters that start with a 'dah'. I think this is because the index finger
is off the paddle between characters and the initial attack is a little more
forceful. Subsequent dahs in the same character sound fine, but that first
one has a 'tick' (a spike by the sound of it). No problem at all with the
dits.

BTW, I don't think this is a matter of bug adjustment; you can get the same
effect by tapping down on a straight key from a slight distance. So it is a
matter of technique. I can avoid it on the bug by keeping my index finger
resting against the paddle all the time and avoiding that first hard strike,
but can't send as well that way; maybe with practice...

73,
Drew
AF2Z