My K3 was one of the lightning casualties they (René) just fixed.  If it
wasn't cost effective to replace components on a board, he replaced the
board.  Neither René nor Madelyn said it couldn't be completely repaired. I
think the modularity is what makes it possible to ensure that a lightning
repair produces a radio that is completely up to spec (and updated too).

René explained his findings and course of action to me, and I was and am
very satisfied.  Insurance would have paid for a replacement if Elecraft
would have said one was necessary, but I am comfortable that the repair was
complete and left the radio as good as new.  He charged me for four hours of
labor and the components and boards replaced.  The radio was new last
November or so, so it is in the warranty period, but I assumed the warranty
wouldn't cover lightning.

Jim N7US