From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Philippe Trottet
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 11:52 PM
To: Don Wilhelm; Jim McDonald
Cc: 'Elecraft Reflector'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Repair

Fully agree with your comments Don,

And I want to take the opportunity to encourage every Ham to pay more
attention to protect our lovely K's and all ellectronic devices in the
house.  I've seen so many locations who are facing huge lightings storms and
this does not happen only to others, I'm a survival !
I do not want to start a thread beacause it is not directly related but I
will be happy to share my experience with those who are interesed.

To have some ideas what it is done today on lightning protection, please
have a look at:
http://www.indelec.com/foudre/Comprendre_la_foudre/Comprendre_la_foudre.aspx

I have no interest at all in this company but I have always pay very much
attention to be well protected in the various locations I was playing Ham
specially after an lightning hit when in France (F5LTB)
When in 2003,  I arrived in Democratic Republic of Congo (9Q1TB), where
lightning protection is mandatory I was looking to the companies who can
provide such service and discover that one has a different and a technically
interesting approach. I have equipped my house and during the 5 years I
stayed in Kinshasa and never face any problem even the head of the lightning
device up to my antenna system on  my metallic roof has been hitted many
times by direct lightings, my younger son can testify, the noise amplified
by the metallic roof was really impressive, but none of the
electric/electronic devices has been destroyed.
The skyscraper where I'm living in UAE is already lightning protection
equipped and apart of the strong lightnings during the "colder" season it is
very useful  because we are facing time to time sand storms who induce an
important amount of static.
Have a good day
Bst 73's
Philippe A65BI
K3#3616

>>> Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> 05-07-2010 5:15 >>>
Jim,

I too would place lightning damage into the "Acts of Nature" category
and not a warranty consideration.  A warranty covers premature component
failures and failure to perform to specification, which is different IMHO.
For a comparison example, a new automobile has a warranty period, but if
a tree falls on it and it is damaged, would that be a warranty repair? -
I think not - that is why we have insurance coverage for those kind of
catastrophic events.

73,
Don W3FPR