Ted Stern tedstern-at-mailinator.com |EMlist| wrote:
On 14 Mar 2005 at 22:02 PST, Jobst Heitzig wrote:

Dear Forest, Russ, and Ted!

I suggest that we call the method we discussed under various names
in the last days ARC (Approval Runoff Condorcet) and continue to
study its properties, especially its anti-strategy properties.

I agree with Russ that it is perhaps a very nice first public
proposal, especially because it may be a nice compromise between
IRV- and Condorcet-supporters: Both methods are Runoffs which delete
the single candidate with the least points until there is among the
rest a candidate with a special property!

Yours, Jobst

I do agree that Approval Runoff Condorcet (ARC) finds the same winner
as Approval-seeded Bubble Sort (ABS).

But I happen to think eliminating candidates through Runoff is one of
IRV's weakest points.  Its only appeal is familiarity.  It seems to me
that the key reason for eliminating primaries is to keep candidates in
as long as possible, to enable voters to coalesce around the one whose
views are closest to the majority.

The problem with IRV is not that it eliminates candidates but rather *how* it eliminates them. IRV elimination is based on the first-choice counts only. That encourages voters to insincerely promote their "lesser of two evils" candidate into first position. In RAV (Ranked Approval Voting, or whatever you call it), on the other hand, elimination is based on Approval scores, and we all know about the virtues of Approval.

As for a name for the method, I think it might be wise to keep the word "runoff" out of it just to avoid such associations. The RAV procedure is not really a runoff in the same sense as IRV.

--Russ