On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 07:01:14PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 06:32:41PM EDT, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:
>  [..]
>  Please report any problems on IRC or here on the list.
> >
> The install went very smoothly - both sm and elinks.
>
> I checked what was specified in the install guide:
>
> libjs.so -> libjs.so
> Ecmascript .................... SpiderMonkey
>
> .. looked ok to  me.
>
> When I tried to start the new version in /usr/local/bin:
>
> $ elinks
>
> .. gives me a
>
> elinks: error while loading shared libraries: libjs.so: cannot open
>
> I did an ldconfig just in case.. no joy..
>
> Then I did a
>
> $ dpkg -l *libjs*
>
> and it tells me this:
>
> pn  libjs0      ...
> pn  libjs0-dev
> pn  libjsw-dev
> pn  libjsw1.5
> pn  libjsw2
>
> .. looks like the javascript libs are not installed..?

Try `dpkg -l lib*js*`. libjs0 is an entirely different ECMAScript
engine, one which ELinks does not support, while libjsw is some library
for joysticks. The packages that you need are libsmjs1 and libsmjs-dev
(for the current stable) or libmozjs0d and libmozjs-dev (for testing or
unstable). What release of Debian are you using?

It looks like the instructions need to be more explicit: if you can
apt-get install libsmjs-dev, none of the other instructions need be
followed.

> Should I apt-get any of these packages?

Did you run `apt-get install libsmjs-dev`?

Can you provide the output of `ldd elinks`? This will tell which
libraries ELinks was built to use.

--
Miciah Masters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> / <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>