On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 01:42:29AM EDT, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:
[..]

> No problem.
>
> The forgotten master session only explains one of the problems. I am
> still curious about how the configure script found SpiderMonkey, yet you
> had a binary that clearly was trying to link with a non-existent
> library.

my *guess* is that elinks's configure script looks in all likely
places..  and this includes the /usr/local tree.

> I still don't understand how /usr/local came into this--Debian
> packages should not store anything relevant under there. I'd like to
> understand these problems so that they might be avoided by other users.

yes, but the libjs that elinks uses is not the standard debian lib..

I did a:

$ find ../spidermonkey/js -name libjs.so -print

.. and sure enough the lib is part of the sm tarball.. and the exact
same size as the one in /usr/local/lib (550,952 bytes).

Now, since prior to make-ing spidermonkey I set the $PREFIX to
/usr/local - as specified in ecmascript.text, I would assume that this
caused all binaries that come with sm to be eventually installed in the
/usr/local tree.. including the libjs lib.

> In any case, have fun with ECMAScript!

Well.. that was pretty much what I was wondering earlier.. now it's
installed what good is it..?  I mean in the real world.. I would imagine
that it should be transparent..  Stuff that didn't work before should
now work.  I should have kept my prior version of elinks some place..
continued using that until I ran into a "js disabled" problem and
switched to this version to see the difference. It's really very late
over here so I just can't think of any site where I tried to access some
gadget-y link and got denied with the previous version. But as far as I
can tell most pages seem to use js to add some gimmicky rendering stuff
that's not compatible with a text mode browser anyway..  so I'm not so
sure it's really going to make much difference.

Thanks,

cga