On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:17:05PM EDT, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:
[..]

> > Now what can I do to verify that ecma support actually works?
>
> Check the Help -> About dialogue. It should list 'ECMAScript
> (SpiderMonkey)'. There are some test pages under test/ecmascript in the
> ELinks source tree. Note that while the SpiderMonkey library provides a
> complete language implementation, the interface by which scripts can
> manipulate the document (DOM) is not supported by ELinks, which severely
> hinders most document scripts.

could kick myself for wasting your time over this.

I had left a gnu/screen session running on a linux console and this
regrettably included an "autostarted" instance of my previous version of
elinks.

I had read somewhere about there being a master instance of elinks
so-to-speak..  and that other instances just connect to this master
instance.  Obviously, I do not have any understanding of the
implications beyond "whatever you do..  don't leave an instance of
elinks running when making changes..  never mind recompiling.."

So I guess that's what caused all the fuss.  In any event I now have the
Sripting feature in the About dialogue and I'm not getting any more of
these "JavaScript is not enabled" messages.

Pity I can't remember any of the (few) instances where I ran into a
problem when js was not enabled..

Thanks much for all the help and all apologies for the confusion.

cga