I follow Elm updates with great interest and I think 0.17 improved things
once again. But I must say one of the main reasons I'm not using Elm today
nor do I plan to use it on the medium term is how slow paced, constraining
and tightly controlled it is. This is so contrary to the world will live in
and the many pivots startups need to make to survive.
People who want to contribute to make the Elm ecosystem better are
absolutely not rewarded for doing so, instead they are encouraged to use
ports which is of course one big hack used to delegate to a more capable
language/platform.

Javascript is a very poorly designed language but you can get stuff done
really fast with it, thanks to the easiness with which people can
contribute to solve problems. Add typescript and some good libs, and it's
even sustainable for the full lifetime of a project. "if it compiles, it's
90% chance that it will work" is great, but it's really not the only factor.

All this to say, Elm has been created 3 years ago, I sincerely hope it will
start to solve problems at a faster pace and be more open to the community.