I have only been part of the Elm community for something like 7-8 months,
but i'll still take the chance and say a few words.
I hadn't seen part 1 of this topic
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/elm-discuss/np3BO9X5rEc/jG3AIiU2zYEJ
before, but found it enlightening.

- I'm not worried about the pace of the language, I love that everything is
thorough and really well thought through
- I'm fine with Elm maybe not being ready for *me or my projects* in
production. Of course that might be me misjudging what I perceive I feel is
missing but in reality there are alternatives to solving those concerns. If
indeed it's not suitable for my cases maybe it will be in 0.18 or 0.19 or
whatever. I'm totally cool with that. I'm still having a blast playing with
Elm regardless and I'm having trouble not sharing my growing enthusiasm.
- I also realize that there are many considerations and priorities that I'm
not privy to and don't need to or have no entitlement in knowing about

Like any enthusiastic Elm community member I've invested lots of time
learning the language, trying to understand the philosophy behind it,
contributing where I can and sharing with the rest of the community and
beyond. I have learned tons, had a great time and I'm thankful for Elm in
so many ways. That's a really big reward in itself.

Evan:
I think what you have done and keep doing is amazing. My only really big
concern is what I wish that I was able to see more signs that other people
in the community were being trusted. And if sometimes people fail to live
up to that trust, because they are humans and make mistakes, that's
something you can live with. To me as an outsider (sort of, mostly I
guess), it seems every minute little issue in the Elm repos, even tiny
spelling mistake issues have to go through you. It's difficult for me to
understand why this needs to be the case or even why it's taking time to
address. Surely there must be a few others in the community that have shown
they are worthy and could at least be allowed to resolve the simpler
issues. Process bots and issue templates might help reduce the number of
issues and hopefully improve the quality of issues. But I don't see
automation as the solution to the bigger things that needs addressing, one
of which I feel is the bus factor the other probably a little more open
communication on where things are going forward.

Before the release of 0.17 I felt at one point that I had unknowingly
signed some sort of NDA for a Company with business critical secrets that
would somehow destroy a competitive advantage if even the tiniest leak
should happen . It came to a point where I wasn't even sure I could use Elm
and 0.17 in the same sentence. That's  obviously not a rational response
for your call to keep things under the lid from my side. But at that time I
remember thinking : "hey this doesn't feel like being part of an Open
Source Community". I hope I don't end up feeling this way in the future,
then I guess I might be better off staying away from any "Do not share"
info altogether. To contradict myself to a degree and to empathize with the
wish/need for secrecy, I compare with what recently happened with Clojure
Spec recently being announced. I had no clue (and I do follow the community
there too, although not nearly as much as Elm), but the big difference
being it didn't break anything, had no impact on any of our production apps
and it was  just really a nice addition which is an option for us to use.
You've already elaborated your reasoning behind the secrecy, I'm just
giving you some feedback how I feel/felt for whatever that's worth. I'm not
saying I'm right, consider it another data point if you like.

I'm encouraged by Noah's reply above, even though I'm perhaps being
unfairly impatient hoping for more clear visible signs sooner rather than
later.

cheers
-magnus