This is a good thread. I think a lot of important opinions have been voiced
here so far.

The thing I personally miss most, and I think this is also what Peter was
getting at, is a new big statement on the direction and the process. I
personally started to do some serious work with Elm last autumn, shortly
after 0.16 was released. Since then, I witnessed several discussions that
were postponed until the next version, 0.17, were to be released (native
modules, specific parts of the web platform that people wanted to expose,
...). And I think by and large everyone was ok with that.

Now 0.17 has come, and it has brought changes (that are great!) and some
indication that "the whole web platform is not that much" and it will be
covered at some point - which sounds very promising.

But there is no roadmap. There is no document I can read on how to
contribute. It seems to me that this creates real tension.

Noah, I appreciate your comments, but I think that most frustration is not
with the slow pace of the language development, but with the inability to
share solutions for everyday problems we have.

Evan, I think we all agree here that the consideration you take with
language and API design is absolutely warranted and that your decisions in
these matters are great. But it would be great if we could get an idea how
you want to go on from here and where you think the community could help.

A lot more people read this newsgroup than write on it. I have spoken to
some who have told me that they really like Elm but don't want to use it
because of the unclear direction and the frustrations in the community. I
think that it would not take much to remedy this.