Whether or not there was a process for contributing to the compiler, only
Evan could have made the proposal to replace Signals.  That's not because
it takes a dictator to make bold decisions, or because Evan is so much
smarter than everyone else, or anything like that.

It's because Signals were based on Evan's graduate research, and Elm grew
out of that work.  It would be extraordinarily insulting for someone to
propose deleting Evan's thesis from his own language.  That's why nobody
could make the proposal unless Evan suggested it first.