"Daniel Pittman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Oh. Um, wasn't this the function that was subject to discussion of is
> 'test -nt' suitable? I didn't check that the code was written and all,
> just assumed.

No, I've already got a replacement for `test -nt'.  The problem is
what does one do if the two files aren't on the same host?

The situation is getting rather tricky and I'm afraid it won't be
obvious at all to a user why file-newer-than-file-p sometimes works
and sometimes doesn't.

If the two files are on the same host (and user and method), we just
use `test -nt' or its replacement.  If the two files are on different
hosts, we try to find out the mtime of both files, which may or may
not succeed, depending on whether we have Perl on the hosts in
question.  If we can't do that, we punt.  But what does punting mean
in this case?  Use `error'?  Signal a file-error?  I don't know.

(The code for using Perl to get the mtime of the file is not written
yet.)

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.