On Fri, 26 May 2000, Kai Großjohann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> "Daniel Pittman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 26 May 2000, Kai Großjohann
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I think that if you signal a continuable error, that would be best.
>> At least it's semi-obvious that something went wrong and all.
>
> Well, I've got to read up on continuable errors, then.  Is
> `file-error' a continuable error?

Hmmm. Yes, in a quick browse through my XEmacs elisp. Raised by using
'signal.'

>> > (The code for using Perl to get the mtime of the file is not
>> > written yet.)
>>
>> Er... It weighs in at around 380 bytes though, which is kind of
>> heavyweight to ship every time we want to stat a file. That's a full
>> implementation of 'file-attributes' though, 'cept for processing the
>> mode into a string.
>
> I wonder if it might be useful to do this at shell-setup time?  When
> the remote shell starts up, rcp.el finds out if there's a Perl.  If
> there is, it could create a function on the remote end which runs Perl
> with the right arguments.

Ah, now *there* is a good idea. I must remember that. I can assume
Bourne shell characteristics, can't I? Hrm... does it ever select csh(1)
or it's descendants?

In any case, I think that using CPIO is a better plan than using Perl,
and I will have a look at using that some time this weekend, I hope.
Unless you are?

        Daniel

--
I believe it is a form of decadence merely to be shocking. Shock works on the
nerves and not on the intellect and any idea which has to rely on pulling at