"Daniel Pittman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri, 26 May 2000, Kai Großjohann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> I think that if you signal a continuable error, that would be best. At
> least it's semi-obvious that something went wrong and all.

Well, I've got to read up on continuable errors, then.  Is
`file-error' a continuable error?

> > (The code for using Perl to get the mtime of the file is not written
> > yet.)
>
> Er... It weighs in at around 380 bytes though, which is kind of
> heavyweight to ship every time we want to stat a file. That's a full
> implementation of 'file-attributes' though, 'cept for processing the
> mode into a string.

I wonder if it might be useful to do this at shell-setup time?  When
the remote shell starts up, rcp.el finds out if there's a Perl.  If
there is, it could create a function on the remote end which runs Perl
with the right arguments.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.