> Point of view, really. &rest accepts zero or more arguments, &optional
> accepts zero or one. It makes little difference if you only ignore them.

But since the argument is ignored and since no argument is passed when
used interactively (since the interactive spec only says (interactive))
and since this function is only called interactively, I'd say: kill it.
Also, you can get rid of the `call-interactively' redundancy, and move
those closing parens where they belong.  Oh, and symbols should be quoted
with `..' rather than '..' so that they are recognized in *Help* buffers.

 (define-key global-map "\M-`"
   (lambda ()
     "Use `tramp-compile' if in a tramp buffer, `compile' otherwise."
     (interactive)
     (call-interactively
      (if (tramp-tramp-file-p buffer-file-name)
          'tramp-compile 'compile))))

-- Stefan