[EMAIL PROTECTED] 16 Mar 2001 23:23:26 +0100
> Well, for remote compilation you now have M-x tramp-compile RET, no?

Indeed, and it is referenced at

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tlroche/plinkTramp.html

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Tom Roche wrote:
>> now that remote compilation works, next on my agenda is remote
>> version control.

> Well, the idea with CVS is that you have your own working directory,
> which need not be on the CVS server. So maybe it is best to just use
> CVS to fetch a working directory to your desktop machine?

Actually, I think not, but perhaps you can correct my reasoning.

I'm working remotely in development space (on Solaris) on an
Apache-based app, and locally on a w2k box. Four characteristics
are notable:

* files in my devspace symlink to the appropriate spots in
  Apachespace

* devspace Perl is somewhat different from my local Perl (hence my
  interest in remote compilation)

* I maintain newer, better Emacs in NT space

* I'm the only thing on my client

Thus IMHO the superior option is to do as much as possible (other than
actually edit) remotely, hence my interest in tramp. So how to do
remote VC? Should be transparent, but it isn't fully. If I open a
CVSed file in tramp, e.g. (broken for mail)

/r@t:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/local/dev/tlroche/webassign/
ScoreAnalysis.pm

I see

(CPerl CVS:17061:1.12 Abbrev)

in the modeline. (BTW: how does one copy the contents of the modeline
into a buffer?)

But if I then do

C-x v =

I get

*vc-diff*
> /bin/ksh: cvs:  not found

How do I make ksh find cvs? And why is ksh able to sense CVS stuff but
not able to find cvs?

Note that I don't get CVS access at login by default. To use it, I run
a script via .mycshrc that fixes my path to match wherever CVS is in
AFSspace (which I gather changes fairly often). This script is, I have
been told, quite csh-specific: I haven't looked at it, and am not even
sure where it's located. I also apparently need to run it from the
terminal, since I've found the magic doesn't work when run from a
script (other than .mycshrc).

Should I make a .kshrc and reverse-engineer the path munging?

TIA, [EMAIL PROTECTED]