"Stefan Monnier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
16 Mar 2001 09:50:19 -0500
> (define-key global-map "\M-`"
>    (lambda ()
>      "Use `tramp-compile' if in a tramp buffer, `compile' otherwise."
>      (interactive)
>      (call-interactively
>       (if (tramp-tramp-file-p buffer-file-name)
>           'tramp-compile 'compile))))

works for me, and seems even cleaner. (Except for the paren placement:
being usually procedural I like starts and ends to line up :-)

Which reminds me: now that remote compilation works, next on my agenda
is remote version control. I've got cvs both on my client (w2k) and
servers (mostly Solaris). I know the client works, but I haven't used
it for "real work," only for, e.g. downloading TRAMP. For the former,
I've been SSHing in (I keep a shell up for things like isql, and as a
"security blanket") and executing commands directly. What would be The
Best Way to do this within Emacs?

TIA, [EMAIL PROTECTED]