On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Tom Roche wrote:
>> I get

>>> *vc-diff*
>>> /bin/ksh: cvs:  not found

>> How do I make ksh find cvs?

Also, just wondering: why ksh? (A quick hand-waving explanation will
probably suffice :-)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 17 Mar 2001 13:32:21 +0100
> Just add directories to tramp-remote-path and they will appear in
> $PATH.

Success! Which of course leads to further questions :-)

It would be nice to be able to set 'tramp-remote-path on a per-server
basis; presumably users will have different path-munging requirements
on different servers. What's the "best way" to do this?

IMHO this gets back to the profile functionality common among FTP
clients. I suspect users will want to change lots of things (notably,
but not only, servername and username) on a per-server basis. While
envvar usage solves the problem for "user@host", as you have
demonstrated, I'm not sure how this would work for other parameters,
such as tramp-remote-path. E.g. if I did

C-x C-f /$WHATEVER:/path/to/file

is there some way by which TRAMP could switch on the contents of
'buffer-file-name to setup 'tramp-remote-path for that connection (or
buffer)?

I had thought that possibly creating multiple items in tramp-methods
(which I'll call creating a "tramp-method") might allow a profile-like
mechanism, but this appears to be untrue: I note that if I add

(add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/ncsu/rcstools/bin")

to my tramp-method "t", it doesn't seem to take. If I add it to the
tramp section of my _emacs, it does; however, that seems a bit
"global."

Is there a better way? TIA, [EMAIL PROTECTED]