On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:54:35 -0500
"Kent A. Reed" <knbr...@erols.com> wrote:

> On 1/26/2012 6:20 PM, dave wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:33:10 -0500

> >> Andy:
> >>
> >> That's an interesting question. I've often wondered why there
> >> weren't folks working on APT interpretation even though it is old
> >> technology. I know a few true-believers have been keeping the APT
> >> flame alive.
> > Andy | Kent:
> >
> > A couple of years ago I tried the APT software on the wiki, not the
> > visual part, just the text files. Some of it works and some of it
> > does not. I wanted lofted surfaces to work and wrote some code
> > which gave copious errors. Stuart was nice enough to run the code
> > on his system and it worked. Please understand that Stuart's
> > version is an expensive, well supported commercial version and his
> > people can make it do almost anything.
> >
> > Before I knew anything about g-code I thought "it was obvious" that
> > any good controller/interpreter would embed at least an ellipse and
> > parabola in code much like G2/G3 handles circles. Maybe even a
> > generalized polynomial at least to 3rd order.  Alas, I guess it is
> > not to be.
> >
> > I can still write g-code much faster than I can make apt work even
> > for the parts that work well.
> >
> > Just my tuppence.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> <previous stuff about STEP-NC deleted>
>
> Cool, Dave. It's funny what is "obvious" and what isn't in this
> business.
>
> Is your work preserved somewhere for the rest of us to look at?
>
> Regards,
> Kent
I'm really bad about documentation so there is nothing out there. Just
my weak and dim memory. As an analytical chemist I lived with the
360/370/Amdahl, etc. scientific subroutine package. I used it for
fitting analytical curves, both atomic absorbtion and antibiotic agar
diffusion analysis. Finally we got both the pdp-11 dedicated to the AA
and pc's on the desktop for handling analytical data. Long time ago.
Next week I will have been retired for 19 years. I've loved every one
of them!

Dave