Spiderdab wrote:

>> It is G64.1 Pxxx.  G64 turns on some smoothing, G64.1 turns on more (and I'm
>> vastly oversimplifying it.)  Well, maybe they have changed it, but I'm
>> pretty sure
>> I used G64.1 Pxxx, but looking at section 3.1.3 it doesn't say that.
>> http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/EMC2_User_Manual.pdf
>>
>> Jon
>>
> I've never read about G64.1 , but I believe you and going to try that in
> these days. What i've read also on that pdf is that with a P0 i have the
> best velocity following, but also that it is the normal way LinuxCNC
> works, even if you omit G64. Is it?
> and, I really cannot understand what Q does (naive) and if you have to
> use Q together with P or without.

According to the documents, it is now G64 with a non-zero P value, that
replaces the
G64.1 Pxx  that I used before.
G64 P0 does NOT give the best velocity, it requires the tool to follow
the path EXACTLY.
So, at right angle corners, it will slow to zero speed.  If you give G64
P0.001, then it will
allow up to .001 (user units) of deviation from the specified path.  The
machine will slow
down so that it passes within .001 of the specified corner.  Depending
on the machine
acceleration settings, this could be significantly faster.  If it is
less acute than a 90
degree corner, it will be able to maintain much higher speed and still
get within the
P value of the exact corner.  Yes, you have to try this out on some
sample programs
to appreciate the effect.  It can easily halve the run time of a
program.  I have a worst-case
torture test for this that is a 2" diameter circle done in 10,000 G1
moves.  It takes several
minutes to run in G61, and 13 seconds to run in G64 P0.001

If you add the Q word (apparently the value has no meaning other than a
non-zero
value turns on the cam detector).  This apparently is only to handle the
line-arc-line
case (and maybe the arc-line-arc case also).  The plain G64 Pxx only
works on
line-line intersections.

Jon