On Thu, 03 May 2012 00:25:08 -0500, John Morris wrote:
> Hi EBo,
>
>>> I think that the spare time problem is a common ailment.  Whatever
>>> the case, with more people doing nothing more than watching this
>>> thread, sooner or later a light bulb will go on and we'll have our
>>> solution.
>>
>> true...  Any more ideas?
>
> Yep!  I discovered the 'record' feature in gdb.  Start up gdb on
> rtapi_app, then run the following:
>
> start load threads name1=fast period1=50000
> record

I'll have to keep that one in mind.  Looks like a nice trick.  Some
time back I did something similar with .gdbinit files and was able to
use breakpoints to do live automated regression testing on an embedded
system.

>> I've got some of Li's NURBS hardware for testing, and as soon as I
>> am
>> caught up at work the plan is to set up a Gentoo portage overlay
>> that
>> loads/partial-preconfig of an appropriate
>> RT-Preempt/LinuxCNC-EMC2/latency-tools/...  Note: I had some old
>> ebuilds
>> for RT-Linux, RTAI, EMC2, EMC2 in the distant past...
>
> Neato!  Keep us in the loop.

plan to...

> Does anyone still use RT-Linux?  I seem to remember it hasn't been
> updated for recent kernels, but I also know of (non-machine) shops
> that
> still run Linux 2.4.x for whatever reason.

I never said that my old ebuilds were current ;-)  Besides, if it works
why break it with something newer ;-)))  Seriously though, last I heard
all the newer stuff is strictly proprietary and most people do not want
to pony up the $$$$$ for an update.  Fortunately the new preemptive
kernel should do the trick, or that is what I am hoping.

   EBo --