On 5/3/2012 12:25 AM, John Morris wrote:
> Yep!  I discovered the 'record' feature in gdb.  Start up gdb on
> rtapi_app, then run the following:
>
> start load threads name1=fast period1=50000
> record

I haven't been able to get the record feature of gdb to do much of
anything useful, because it keeps stopping on an unsupported instruction
(0xc5).  I don't know if this is related to the crashing or not.  :-/

I was, however, able to turn up what might be a useful clue using
electric fence.  I used the .gdbinit example from the debian package,
which sets two environment variables prior to running rtapi_app:

  set environment EF_PROTECT_BELOW 1
  set environment LD_PRELOAD /usr/lib/libefence.so.0.0

When run this way, the application *ALWAYS* segfaults on line 131 of
linux_rtapi.c: the call to rtapi_print_msg call in the
rtapi_reset_pagefault_count function (although it is the vfprintf in
default_rtapi_msg_handler that is actually causing the segfault).

I still don't know _why_ this is happening, but it feels like at least
the root issue may be getting closer to the surface.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net