On 1/22/2013 9:01 AM, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> On 1/22/2013 6:06 AM, Bas Laarhoven wrote:
>> A final solution hasn't been found yet: I prefer a workaround
>> without changing the dhclient or some other standard program. I
>> think it would suffice to acquire a new lease right after the
>> time-step has been made. This has to be done without giving up the
>> previous lease (that has expired because of the time-step), because
>> that would cause the system to freeze again. Suggestions on how to
>> do this are welcome. I can't spend much more time on this issue
>> this week.
> Perhaps shutting down the dhcp client once the boot is finished,
> deleting the leases file, and restarting would work?  If it works, it
> could be implemented as a very late init script.
>
> I don't have time to test at the moment, as I'm heading out of town.

Well, manually this technique seemed to work for me, at least when I
restarted dhclient from the command line. I'm uncertain where one would
inject "a very late init script" to ensure it will be proof against all
the other processes that are lurking in Ubuntu and its brethren (I've
read complaints in the Blogosphere that network manager, to cite one
example, may restart dhclient if it notices it is not running). Perhaps
none of them pertain to our stripped-down system.

Obviously, I'm not above using this approach but I can't help feeling it
amounts to "putting lipstick on the pig" I described in my earlier
message to Bas:-)

The tricky part of what Bas describes is that bit about "without giving
up the previous lease". It isn't clear to me that the current
documentation describes exactly the current software is doing, so I
don't have a suggestion yet, but I'm confident this approach can be made
to work too.

I'm trying to work some different tricks as well but I'll be out of
touch for a bit too to deal with family health matters.

Regards,
Kent