Hallo,

I followed till now with big interest. Most opinions and wishes are
clearly understandable, but shouldn't we begin with other questions?

- How hard will it be to get the tool storage out of real-time? IMHO it
does not belong there.
- What information are needed for linuxCNC itself (iocontrol,
interpreter, etc)
- What informations are needed by the GUI or what are the requirements
of the user?
- etc.

Without knowing all that, it is not possible to discuss about the
storage way (text, Database or XML, etc.)

If I am allowed to dream:

Tool table is a graphical tool editor, with images to show the user a
drawing with the information required.
"No" Tool number limit (I have no company, but one of my machine has
about 150 SK30 tool holders, I was lucky getting them for some boxes of
beer ;-)
It contains (for a mill)
- Tool Number
- Poket Number (actually not handled correct in remap)
- Tool diameter
- Tool wear in diameter
- Tool length
- Tool length wear
- length of the cutting flute (and linuxCNC will look in future if the
tool is suited ;-)
- Form of the tool (V or ballnose or flat (Future preview will show that
style, because it will cut from a solid)
- How long has the tool been used
- How many times has it been mounted
- Number of teeth (Cam may need that)
- what is the recommended cutdepth / teeth (Cam may need that)
- What speed to use (Cam may need that)
- Power limit (If the tool needs more power, the machine will go in stop
to avoid damage on the machine, like a aluminum milling closing the flutes)

I am sure there will be more wishes, so please add them to the list. And
who begins with a lathe list? IMHO the tool storage could be different.

I am a python fan, so that is my preferred language to code the Tool
editor. I am willing to do that, but I am not able to change the
iocontrol, interpreter code :-( Who help with that?

Norbert