On Sun, 3 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 14:34:13 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] 7i76 vs spinout signal

On Sunday 03 February 2019 09:30:46 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 07:16:13 -0500
> From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] 7i76 vs spinout signal
>
> On Sunday 03 February 2019 01:19:26 Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 21:46:24 -0500
> > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] 7i76 vs spinout signal
> >
> > On Saturday 02 February 2019 19:51:18 Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 19:01:59 -0500
> > > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > > To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> > > Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] 7i76 vs spinout signal

> > > Approx -1.8 x 10^308 to  +1.8 x 10^308
> > >
> > > Because it????????????????s a double precision floating point.
> > >
> > > Are you reading the 7i76 manual or just the LinuxCNC docs?
> >
> > The 7i76 manual lacks anything like such an explanation for the
> > spindle functions. Or has it been expanded and corrected?, I've
> > had the doc file I am looking at for about 3 months now.
> >
> > Thanks Andy.
>
> I just read it again, top to bottom and back up. None of this stuff
> is in it, nor is there any reference to reading the manpage for
> sserial.
>
> > The sserial man page has some info about the 7i76 pins
>
> So it does, but haveing no reference to it in the doc, I hadn't read
> it until now. It also states theres a high likelyhood of its being
> permanently out of date.  And it makes zero mention that ENA and DIR
> appear to be activated ONLY when when spinout has valid non-zero
> data. That might work for a vfd but not for a pwm-servo such as Jon
> sells. The way its worded, ENA and DIR appear to be straight thru
> from input to output isolated controls, which would make them 100%
> useful. But because they aren't activated until spinout has valid
> non-zero data, the ENA is of zero use to me. That amp must be
> enabled, then pulsed to charge the gates properly before the data
> from the pid.out arrives at the pwmgen.1.value pin to start its
> generation of pulses. I do have a method worked out that should
> work, using the otherwise mounted for its looks, relay on the
> SainSmart BoB. Driven by p2 of the 5i25 using a special bitfile
> Peter sent me which puts a 2nd pwmgen on the P2 connector since the
> first one goes to /dev/null in the 7i76d. I may be able to get that
> wired up tomorrow, but I am making all this hookup hardware as I go.
> From a 150 foot spool of wire, and a bag of GS12-5 connectors.
> Darned near too small for these getting a little shaky old hands.
>

> Thats not quite true, The 7I76 DIR output is a completely
> independent output bit and ENA must be present for the analog output
> to work, that is analog out is dependent on ENA but not the other
> way around.

I did not find that in my testing, Peter. Neither ENA- was pulled up
to the +12 volts on ENA+, nor was DIR- pulled up to the +5 volts on
DIR+, until I gave it a non-zero spinout. In my testing, no power was
applied to tb4,1-3 because the intent is to use the 2nd pwmgen as the
input to jon's servo amp in this instant build. I will use it with the
vfd in the 6040 build that I bought the 2nd 7i76d for. So I was forced
to use the relay on a sainsmart bob to switch the ena to the pwm-servo
amp and use a timedelay module to delay everything else until the
relay was solidly closed.

Is there some other magic I missed?  Humm, maybe, I had not learned
about the params that needed set according to "man 9 sserial" until
yesterday. IMO, this should have been mentioned in the downloadable
doc for the 7i76 but is not. They now are being set, so I'll retest
and advise today.

Those aren't accessible to a halmeter, so I have to use a dvm (or a
scope) to verify. And I was reading  a wandering 60 millivolts to
ground at those terminals.

Thanks Peter.

The 7I76 spindle ENA and DIR outputs are independent of the analog
value of spinout, (though the analog out is forced to 0 if spinena is
false) is it possible you have a wiring error?

Just woke up again. No wiring error, but no load on ENA- or DIR-
And no response to either spindir or spinena when brought true by hal code. I'm working on the hal to re-enble those in parallel with whats there now. Done that, now go see if it works. And it is. With spindle enabled from axis, ENA- is 12.5 volts, and in reverse, DIR- is now 5.11 volts (with no load.) My instant project is to finish wireing up the spindle powers soft start and it looking like I'll need the socket to 7i76 wires to grow an inch. After that, the encoder, then once I have encoder feedback, finish wiring up the spindle. Then the home switches, and finally the 4 axis worth of stepper controls. So I've a ways to go before this machine is back among the usable. Not to mention its looking like I have to make a 13mm nut spinner out of conduit just to tighten the nuts on those connectors which are below the boards in this box.

Now in the next step of wiring this up I have a pair of 40 amp SSR's, with 5.11+ on both + terminals of the SSR's, and am using hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.outputs 15 and 14 with the idea that turning them on will ground the -terminals, enabling the SSR's in sequence, when the first one is enabled, power is applied to the stack of toroids thru a 50 ohm 200 watt resistor the start chargeing the filter caps, 3 second later an identical signal is sent to hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.output14 which bypasses the 50 ohm resistor, enabling the spindle psu at full power.

I can see, with a halmeter that the signal is sent to those output pins.

But they aren't turning on to sink the - pins of the SSR's. They regardless of the halmeter state, stubbornly sitting at 4.66+ which would be about what I'd expect to see when I measure to ground/common with a 10 megohm input DVM from the - terminals of the SSR controls. Not enough current flowing thru the meter to tickle the SSR's of course. I am wired to the last and next to last at the upper end of TB5 which the docs say is output15 and output14. Field power on the orange connector is 12.2 volts positive on pin 1, and negatives are wired common between pin 8 of the orange connector and pin 24 of the 4 pin header to its left.

So why aren't they sinking the current to turn on the SSR's when sent a true ? Do I need to
setp hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.output15-invert true
setp hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.output14-invert true
in which case I'd think they would be on when the outputs are false, but I'll try it for S&G.

No, true means output on for 7I76 or 7I76D

There is ATM, no power for the SSR's themselves as the machine power switch is off at the power strip on the end of the big box. I am doing my damndest to not let any smoke out of this. Verifying everything I hook up one GS12-5 plug/socket at a time. Holes for 9, room for more if needed. And this is only the second one...

> Peter Wallace
> Mesa Electronics
>
> (\__/)
> (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
> (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Peter Wallace