I use Pluma as well as other editors with no issue. Try to Save As and check the line endings to make sure they are not windoze.

JT

On 9/18/20 1:25 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
One of my customers is having issues with editing hal files.  He says he is using the Wheezy iso install, and the only editor on it is "mousepad".  Never heard of that.  He reports that if he opens a hal file for editing, LinuxCNC/Axis will no longer come up.

I remembered an issue about CR/LF being corrupted by editing some time ago, and suggested he download another editor, like emacs. He's going to try that, now.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Jon