Thinking out loud, I seem to recall Graphviz being developed to automate function diagrams for HAL so that one could see how the HAL components where connected for a given hal file. Graphviz, can also be seen in the LinuxCNC documentation. Off-hand, there seems to be two different functions, 1) to document general software functions to help developers understand the LinuxCNC software, and 2) present hal components and pin connections to help integrators create and troubleshoot hal components and connections.

The bottom of this link seems to show the developer application (with curvy lines and balloons):

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/code/code-notes.html

Way back, I used Inkscape to manually make HAL diagrams as a reference for editing my HAL files:

http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/qd_atc_hal_ov-1a.svg

At the time, it seemed that progress on these fronts was being made to automate these applications.

It would be good to see LinuxCNC become more active again.

Sincerely, Kirk Wallace