Per ANSI C63.5 all calibrations are done with horizontal polarization, 2 meter
transmit antenna height, and 10 meter distance. Antenna factors measured in this
fashion should be utilized for measurements at 3, 10, or 30 meters either
horizontal or
vertical.

While on the surface it appears that different antenna factors for vertical and
horizontal site measurement make sense some of the differences are already
accounted
for in the calculation of the theoretical site attenuation value.  If these are
also built
into the antenna factors by using a vertical antenna calibration it would skew
the
resultant site attenuation results and can work either for or against you.  A
note of
caution, just because the results are what you want to see (within the + 4 dB
window)
don't automatically assume they are correct.

If a site does not meet the + 4 dB requirement I would first recommend
careful scrutiny of the measurement setup.  The most significant thing I found
in my
setup was the dress on the transmit antenna cable.  I was able to establish a
direct
correlation between my problem frequencies and cable lengths (i.e. wavelength
(or multiple of) = length of vertical cable).  I switched to an EMCO 4630
Reference
Comb Generator as my signal source to eliminate all the cabling issues.  I
mount the
4630 on the tripod directly behind the transmit antenna. I use this setup for
site
attenuation measurements as well as antenna calibrations.

Tom Donnelly
EMC Engineer
Lucent Technologies