I was not at the convention so did not see the biconical antenna presentation.
I will make it a point to look for a copy of the paper and read it.

I disagree that vertical antenna factors should be used to remove the "surface
wave" from the measurement. Site attenuation measurements are intended to
measure the propagation of a signal over a test site ground plane. If the
"surface wave" is a component of the propagation being measured than it cannot
be removed from the result and still yield a valid measurement. I am not
entirely sure what it is that you are referring to as the "surface wave". As a
wave propagates over a ground plane there are two signal paths, a direct wave
between the source and receiving antenna and a wave that reflects off the
ground plane to the antenna. I suspect the reflected wave is what you are
referring to as the "surface wave".  What distance are you making you
measurements at?  Are you calibrating your antennas in a semi anarchic chamber
or performing site attenuation measurements on the chamber?

I am interested in continuing this discussion but will be out of the office
until after Labor Day, at which time I will respond to any further dialog.

Tom Donnelly
EMC Engineer
Lucent Technologies