Right. Harmful interference makes any classification meaningless.

Cortland

====================== Original Message Follows ====================

 >> Date:  25-Aug-97 18:43:26  MsgID: 1054-4643  ToID: 72146,373
From:  Doug McKean >INTERNET:dmck...@paragon-networks.com
Subj:  Re: Antenna Calibration/Site Attenuation
Chrg:  $0.00   Imp: Norm   Sens: Std    Receipt: No    Parts: 1

> From: Cortland Richmond <72146....@compuserve.com>
> To: "Grasso, Charles (Chaz)" <gra...@louisville.stortek.com>; ieee pstc
list <emc-p...@ieee.org>
> Subject: RE: Antenna Calibration/Site Attenuation
> Date: Monday, August 25, 1997 11:19 AM
>
> If it's mutual coupling... sure. But if it's a surface wave, that's real
field
> strength.  If the reason for 3 meters -- an approximation of distance to
the
> victim receiver in a residential area -- is to be preserved, then perhaps
this
> is a non-issue, as the error is all on the high side, and emissions will
be
> reduced even lower than they would be on a ten meter site.
>
> (As an aside, can anyone here say if the COmmission has ever specifically
ruled
> on how far away from residences Class A equipment must be kept?  I
remember a
> few years ago some chap got a NAL for operating a graphics work station
in his
> home... but what about separate buildings out back, etc. ?)
>
> Cortland

It would seem that businesses run in homes
would tend to violate *any* distance requirement.

I believe that the wording of the labeling
specifically addresses "may not cause harmful
interference" which could be at any distance.