====================== Original Message Follows ====================

 >> Date:  25-Aug-97 13:20:16  MsgID: 1054-3884  ToID: 72146,373
From:  Chris Dupres chris_dupres
Subj:  RE: Antenna Calibration/Site Attenuation
Chrg:  $0.00   Imp: Norm   Sens: Std    Receipt: No    Parts: 1

Hi Cortland.

You asked:

<(As an aside, can anyone here say if the COmmission has ever specifically ruled
on how far away from residences Class A equipment must be kept? >

In my meanderings around the Compliance Biosphere, I've spoken to many
enforcement people, competent bodies, even Government administrators.  The
general opinion seems to be 'If you meet the general intention of the Directives
via the Standards, then the world will be a better trading place'.  Note the
deliberate absence of the word 'distance' and 'field strength, and
'interference'.

In general, the advice I live with, and give, is that you shouldn't expect a TV
to work perfectly on top of a Microwave cooker, and you wouldn't expect an
electric pencil sharpener to reverse if you use a portable phone nearby.

I feel that in any one typical domestic situation, the RF signature of a
location is so far removed from an OATS or screened room as to be almost
meaningless in practical terms, but you gotta put some rules down somewhere.  I
akin it to judging how fast a car can go by the shape of the hub caps. (They
only put Hot Hub Caps on fast cars?)  I had a case of a TIG welder interfering
with a VHF radio some 200 metres away, awful wide band hash whenever the TIG
fired up.  I've also had Quadrupole Mass Spectrometers (pico and femto amps)
behaving perfectly when 600mA 2kV Argon Arcs are being started in the same
vacuum chamber.

In answer to your question, I'm not aware of any requirements for distances
between emitters and receptors, notwithstanding that there may be local by-laws
which prohibit people camping beside arc furnaces, or something.

In the UK, if you regularly get nuisance interference from anything at all, one
can approach British Telecom, the monopoly holder, who will investigate and find
the source of the intereference, and politely suggest to the source that they do
something about it, but I'm not sure what teeth they have. The point is, is that
they don't seem to take distance into account. It's all to do with the Wireless
Telegraphy act, I think.

That should be as clear as mud...

Chris Dupres
Surrey, UK.