The common bicon balun (the traditional long-neck variety) may explain the
differences encountered between V & H.  If my feeble memory is correct, the
balun is only marginally "balanced".  Consequently, it could be sensitive
to cable length and routing.  (An easy test for imbalance would be to slide
a ferrite along the coax and see if the measurement is affected.)  I
wouldn't be surprised to see such differences from V to H as reported by
Don et al simply by turning the bicon around - while remaining at the same
polarity.  I'm not sure this problem exists on the small metal-box style of
balun, or could it be worse somehow?  Anyway, sometimes I wonder if
shielded twinaxial cable, with a remotely placed balun, might perform more
consistently.

Regards,
Eric Lifsey
National Instruments