I had been waiting for this thread to appear on the subject, but I
guess I will raise it myself.

While training in product safety is a very useful subject for design
engineers, it will be a cold day in hell before most professors deign to
teach such a mundane subject. In spite of its practical use, the absence
of theoretical dogma and higher math puts this subject in the pencil
sharpening category as far as universities are concerned.

Keep in mind that this is a subject area frequented by those with
associate degrees or less. Lest you doubt me, witness the relegation by
IEEE of product safety to a nethermost role, in a niche of the EMC
society (which is considered to have some ethereal nuances worthy of
professional attention).

Bob Johnson