John,
I refuse to say "in another life" because I have only one life to go through
and learn through, taking credit for my successes and accepting
responsibility for my learning opportunities. (to me it's a Dilbert "pointy
haired manager" phrase(of course so is "learning opportunity" instead of
mistake)
(sorry for the soapbox)

 BUT I have had the opportunity to investigate both conductive materials
(composites) and conductive coatings.  We decided to use conductive coatings
on a computer system for a medical imaging system.  The product was mature
and only limited units were expected to be sold.  We did replace some of the
panels with metal ones (at a cost savings even over the unplated plastic!
management liked that).  A sprayed on copper paint was applied to the
plastic parts.  It worked very well!  At the joints, soft gaskets
(conductive fabric covered foam) were used (e.g. Schlegel (spelling?)).
This reduced wear (assembly / disassembly) concerns.  The unit went from
being a "comb generator" to compliant.  Adequate application of the coating
was achieved.  Vacuum deposition was considered but was too expensive and
may have had problems with the cavities in the existing plastic parts.
For the fairly small quantity of parts, this worked quite well.  IF we were
starting a project and could design the  plastic parts with a particular
process in mind, other processes (e.g. plating) might be a better choice.
Refer to other comments on safety aspects.  I have seen problems with
coatings flaking off.  Also note my experience occurred ~ 5 years ago.
Seems recent to me but there may have been many improvements in the field
since then.
Good luck!

Daren A. Nerad
EMC Engineer