Hi John,

In a past life, I had to deal with conductive coatings. In addition to the
parameters you listed,
uniformity, integrity and durability of the coating were important. Uniformity
was important because
the inside surface of the enclosure pieces were complicated (coating voids
behind obstructions were
no-no's). Integrity and durability were important because the 2 major enclosure
pieces had to slide
together (interlock) & then were secured with a couple of screws. For service,
the enclosure had to
be diassembled/reassembled. We were also sensitive to wear and flaking of the
coating on the
enclosure piece mating surfaces. As memory serves and as best that we could
measure it, the coating
impedance was about 1-2ohm/sq. Also, we had to ensure a reliable low impedance
connection from the
coating to the mains earth connection on all enclosure pieces. It is also worth
noting here that
adding a metallic "inner skin" may compromise some safety clearances, so please
keep that in mind.
You will also very likely increase the ESD discharge points by adding this
coating.

Nowadays, other issues would likely come into play, such as hazardous material
avoidance and
recyclibility, to name a couple.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Best regards,

Ron Pickard
rpick...@hypercom.com

                    jjuh...@fiberoptions.co

                    m                              To:     emc-p...@ieee.org

                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    owner-emc-pstc@majordom        Subject:     Conductive
Coatings
                    o.ieee.org

                    08/20/01 11:30 AM

                    Please respond to

                    jjuhasz

Greetings . . .

Beginning to consider conductive coatings for EMC shielding.
To be used inside a plastic cover (material as yet unknown) in
a low power/voltage (SELV) application.
This is unfamiliar territory.

I'm sure someone on this listserv has experience with these.
I know to at least consider shielding effectiveness, material
compatibility (plastic housing material to coating), and
end-user environment. What are some other critical criteria?

Thanks.

John A. Juhasz
Product Qualification &
Compliance Engineer