Hi Terry and the group,

Besides the question of finding a generator that can reach the level you
mention, I am not aware of any natural ESD event that approaches the
interference potential of even an 8 kV contact discharge. The problem
comes in that high voltage air discharges have relatively slow
risetimes, for 16 kV on the order of tens of ns, whereas contact
discharges maintain a better than 1 ns risetime at all voltages. This
makes for a much smaller dt to go along with the greater di to make a
di/dt that is much higher, more than an order of magnitude, than you
will see for these voltages in nature.

Maybe if you were making atom bomb trigger mechanisms there would be a
justification for this kind of testing, but not for real equipment.

On the other hand very low voltage (and energy) events, such as jinjling
change have very high di/dt because of the tens of ps risetimes that
occur at low voltage. The combination of high voltage (and energy) with
fast risetimes is too severe and meeting such a test is a waste of money
for most equipment.

Doug

Terry Meck wrote:

> Hello again:
>
> Does anyone recall if there were any standard called for or ESD generator
> that simulated as the case may be =>  +-10 kV CONTACT discharge.
>
> We have a customer that is specifying passing +-16 kV ESD without referring
> to AIR or Contact discharge.  I am inclined to ask what they have in mind
> since I have not seen any generators that go that high in the Contact mode.
> I suspect the writer of the SOW knows nothing and the engineering group only
> thinks Air Discharge.
>
> What do you all think?
>
> Terry J. Meck
> Accu-Sort Systems Inc.

> with the single line:
>      unsubscribe emc-pstc

>      Dave Heald                davehe...@mediaone.net

>     http://www.rcic.com/      click on "Virtual Conference Hall,"

    ___          _       Doug Smith
     \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
      =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
   _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
 /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
 \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org