>>Does anyone recall [...] ESD generator that simulated [...] =>  +-10 kV
CONTACT discharge.

I agree, your client _probably_ meant air, but better to ask.

Nevertheless, as I recall, NoiseKen makes an ESD tester that does 16kV
contact / 30kV air.
http://www.noiseken.com/english/equip/equip.htm

Also, there seems to be a Haefely model -- PESD 3000 -- that offers 25kV
contact / 30kV air(?):
http://www.compliancesys.com/transientsystems.htm
There are probably other products, and most certainly other
vendors/distributors. (This was the first one my web search engine came up
with.)

Online lists of vendors include: http://rbitem.com/products/default.asp

USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY!
For information only. This is not intended to be an endorsement of any
product, vendor or website.

Best Regards, Glyn

Glyn R. Garside   (mailto:ggars...@us.tuv.com)
Senior Engineer, Industrial Machinery Division
TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc.  (Chicago Office)
1945 Techny Rd, Unit 4, NORTHBROOK, IL 60062-5357, USA
http://www.us.tuv.com     TEL 847-562-9888 ext 25