>>On the other hand very low voltage (and energy) events, such as jingling
>>change have very high di/dt because of the tens of ps risetimes that
>>occur at low voltage.

I think this is why, as I recall, some (maybe all?) IEC standards require
you to test not only to the ESD level indicated, but also the lower levels
too. For example, if you are required to test at level 4, you are also
required test at levels 3, 2 and 1.  This is counter-intuitive -- "Surely
the highest voltage is the worst case?" -- but apparently grounded in good
physics, which Doug explains better than I would.

PS: As to testing at higher levels than typical IEC values, I have read
that the human body can, rarely, gain a charge of up to about 30kV(??), in
conditions of low RH. Others may have better insight into this. Also, some
manufacturers may want to build some "margin" into their test results: if
five samples pass at 8kV, how sure can you be that the next 995 production
units would also pass?

PPS: I have a question of my own, drifting off topic slightly: if the
relative humidity was fairly high when you passed the ESD test, and you
retest (esp. air discharge?, or indirect discharge?) some months later when
humidity is lower, could the same EUT now fail? (I think the answer is,
yes?)

Best Regards, Glyn

Glyn R. Garside   (mailto:ggars...@us.tuv.com)
Senior Engineer, Industrial Machinery Division
TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc.  (Chicago Office)
1945 Techny Rd, Unit 4, NORTHBROOK, IL 60062-5357, USA
http://www.us.tuv.com