Hi Dan,

Air discharges are made anywhere on the product where an insulator covers
possibly sensitive features.

Membrane keypads are a great example.  The keypads contain traces and
circuitry that may be sensitive to ESD.  However, since the outermost layer
is an insulator, making a contact discharge would not be a real world test.
I believe that it may also damage the contact discharge relay in certain ESD
generators.   I can explain that in more detail if you would like.  In my
experience, membrane keypads are always tested with air discharge.

There are other surfaces that offer more chance for interpretation and
debate.

The main sticking point here is the definition of insulation.  Some people
try to consider paint on a metal surface as insulation.  In this case they
will only make air discharges to painted metal surfaces.  Others do not
consider the paint as an insulator, they will poke the contact discharge tip
down through the paint until it gets to bare metal and then make contact
discharges.  The same question arises with insulating passivation treatments
such as black anodize treatment on Aluminum.  Each product is different and
each coating is different, this is where the compliance engineer has to use
some honest judgement.

My humble opinion is that I poke the tip through paints and passivation
coatings of metals to perform contact discharges.  If there is an actual
piece of material such as a plastic overlay over the metal; then I use air
discharge.

I have a non-compliance collegue here that used to work on military
projects. He has told me that there is a US military standard that actually
classifies different metal treatments such as passivation coatings, paints
and baked on enamels as "insulators" or not.  However, I have never found
this standard.  In its absence, I have used the rule of thumb above.

Chris Maxwell
Design Engineer
NetTest
6 Rhoads Drive, Building 4