Hi Glyn,

Here is one way to approach 30kV. First, slide out of your car seat, the
Ford Taurus is great for this effect. This puts a charge on your behind.
As you get out of the car (everything is plastic so you remain charged
with respect to the car) your voltage rises because Q=CV. Q stays the
same (charge on your behind) but since C to the car goes down, voltage
goes up. Then you go to close the metal door and a huge spark jumps
between your hand and the door. Usually this results in jumping into the
air muttering a few four letter words sometimes ending in (I am sure
this happens with other cars, I just happen to own Fords, which I like)
"F O R D".

I wonder why the car companies don't make seat material out of
anti-static material....

BTW, contact discharge has the same risetime at all reasonable voltages,
as opposed to air discharges, but still some equipment will fail at a
low voltage and pass at high voltages. I can imagine a few ways circuits
might do this. The effect is more pronunced with air discharge because
of the risetime dependence on voltage (really arc length and whatever
effects that, including speed of approach).

Doug

"Glyn Garside(TUV)" wrote:

> >>On the other hand very low voltage (and energy) events, such as jingling
> >>change have very high di/dt because of the tens of ps risetimes that
> >>occur at low voltage.
>
> I think this is why, as I recall, some (maybe all?) IEC standards require
> you to test not only to the ESD level indicated, but also the lower levels
> too. For example, if you are required to test at level 4, you are also
> required test at levels 3, 2 and 1.  This is counter-intuitive -- "Surely
> the highest voltage is the worst case?" -- but apparently grounded in good
> physics, which Doug explains better than I would.
>
> PS: As to testing at higher levels than typical IEC values, I have read
> that the human body can, rarely, gain a charge of up to about 30kV(??), in
> conditions of low RH. Others may have better insight into this. Also, some
> manufacturers may want to build some "margin" into their test results: if
> five samples pass at 8kV, how sure can you be that the next 995 production
> units would also pass?
>
> PPS: I have a question of my own, drifting off topic slightly: if the
> relative humidity was fairly high when you passed the ESD test, and you
> retest (esp. air discharge?, or indirect discharge?) some months later when
> humidity is lower, could the same EUT now fail? (I think the answer is,
> yes?)
>
> Best Regards, Glyn
>
> Glyn R. Garside   (mailto:ggars...@us.tuv.com)
> Senior Engineer, Industrial Machinery Division
> TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc.  (Chicago Office)
> 1945 Techny Rd, Unit 4, NORTHBROOK, IL 60062-5357, USA
> http://www.us.tuv.com

> with the single line:
>      unsubscribe emc-pstc

>      Dave Heald                davehe...@mediaone.net

>     http://www.rcic.com/      click on "Virtual Conference Hall,"

    ___          _       Doug Smith
     \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
      =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
   _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
 /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
 \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org