Hello all,

I'm confused. When preparing an EMC test plan for CE
requirements I've been told to narrow in on Generic or
Product Standards (which ever is more applicable) to
help demonstrate compliance. For example, if testing
to EN 55024 ITE immunity, the standard calls for
various IEC Basic Standards to be carried out. The
severity levels to be perfromed on the EUT is given in
the EN 55024 tables.

I've always been told that:

- The level called out in the Generic/Product standard
takes precedent over the the informative- recommended
sevrity levels (for a given environment,level 1-4
etc)in the IEC Basic's

- The Basic's are only to be used for set-up and how
to perfrom the test.

Here's the question: In the ESD and Surge standard
there is mention in the test methodology that "lower
levels" shall be applied (I don't see this in the EFT,
Rad Susc. or Cond RF standards). I have heard comments
that only the one set of levels called out in the
Generic/Product standard is all that needs to be
performed. Then I've also been told from other camps
that lower levels MUST be carried out.

If the EN 55024 calls for 1,2 kV for surge on the AC,
does this mean we have to repeat the test @ .5, 1kV
too? For ESD, 8 air, 4 cont should really be 8,6,4,2
air and 4,2,1 cont??

Any guidance would be appreciated.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com