Dear Group,

For most EUTs there is no need to do lower level testing in contact mode ESD.
The time is better spend (meaning a better test results uncertainty is
achieved) if the number of discharges is increased at the highest test level
(hundreds is a good number). Although it is possible that a system fails at
e.g., 2 kV contact mode (e.g., incomplete reset) and passes at 4 kV contact
mode (full self-recovering quick reset) the likelyhood of that happening is not
that large to require it in a standard.

For air discharge lower level testing is needed, as the risetime is often much
lower at lower voltages. Of course, if no discharge occurs, no further testing
at even lower levels makes sense.

I do know that what I am saying violates the present IEC 61000-4-2 standard. ut
it reflects the coming version of IEC 61000-4-2. The standard does not intend
to protect agains every possible ESD failure.

I would like to receive your input, as I am one of the US-representatives in
IEC TC77b WG-9 (ESD).

David Pommerenke