Dear Bob
Just a point - smaller is not always better.

AVX and maybe some others make 0612 capacitors for decoupling. They are the
same size as the normal 1206 size but are metallised along their long edges.

This reduces their ESL considerably, to the extent that (according to
manufacturer's data I have seen) their ESR performance can be better than the
same value in an 0805 style, or even in an 0603.

I haven't had the opportunity to try any 0612s out yet.
Has anyone any real comparative data on these decaps?

All the very best!
Keith Armstrong
Cherry Clough Consultants
www.cherryclough.com