Interesting articles on your web-site, Tim.

>BTW, how about just using a 100 pF capacitor with the 'leads' hugging close
>to the microprocessor package

There's a "mile" from the Vcc pin to ground, that's another problem. No
ground plane, only ground traces which is routed around on the PCB. This
product is soon leaving this world (it's an old product), but we are trying
to let it exits a few more months before a new version is released. New
emission requirements (24dBuV/m @ 3m, freq.band 155MHz-165MHz) might let it
die very soon ....

Amund