Dear Ken
Sorry to have taken so long to reply to this. Pressure of work has kept me
away from the thread for a week.

I don't know where you get your maths from.

The usual formula (commonly available in a number of variants) for the
radiated emissions E in V/m at 10 metres due to a common-mode current is:

E = 1.26 10^-4 (f.L.ICM)

f = frequency in MHz
L = length of the radiating cable in metres
ICM = common-mode current in the cable in milliamps

Using L = 1.5 metres (not a long cable) and f = 100MHz, I find that 92dBuV/m
(= 40mV/m) can be created at 10 metres distance by a CM current of just 2mA.

2mA is a far cry from your "significant fraction of an Ampere of common mode
rf current".

Hence my serious concerns about your math.

I also don't agree with a number of other things in your analysis below,
especially as you finish by saying: "If you consider that any signal with
information content carried by 2 mV is shielded, the issue becomes, once
again, a non-problem."

I don't think you can make the assumption that cables carrying low level
signals are shielded.
Remember that this thread began with a discussion of EMC-related safety
issues, and where safety is involved one shouldn't make assumptions that
everyone else designs equipment as well as you would like them to.

If we consider a country such as the US with no mandatory EMC immunity
regulations, and a measuring device that uses analogue technology and does
not have to meet emissions standards, it is obvious that the lowest cost way
to design and market it is to leave out all the shielding and filtering, and
I would expect a proportion of manufacturers to do just that.

I will spare the emc-pstc a longer email by not responding to the other
issues I don't agree with at this time.

Maybe other contributors would like to support your analysis below? or not.

Regards, Keith Armstrong.
PS:  It will be another week before I can reply again to postings in this
thread.